Sunday 13 February 2011

A difficult day




A day of complete frustration trying to portray a group of Waxwings in Norwich.  I think I was just getting too carried away trying to put things onto paper and add paint before I'd really studied them sufficiently.  Sometimes it's better to calmly step back, take a breath, and just spend time looking at the birds rather than madly trying to rush something off on the page.  It is all psychology.  All rubbish pictures but I'm posting them here anyway so you can see what I mean when I say it was a bad day's painting.
Later did the sketches of a drake Smew at Barton Broad.  Extremely cold for painting in the field, minus 3 degrees centigrade, so not really helping to make things easy.  And I was having to stand up painting, which is seldom comfortable either.

No comments:

Post a Comment