Tuesday 6 December 2011

Fifteen minutes of fame

The October issue of British Birds magazine featured the annual Report on Rare Birds in Great Britain, for 2010.  It included my record of a Black Stork that I found whilst out doing some Upland Breeding Bird Survey squares on Exmoor.  BB have printed the actual field sketches I made at the time - it's always nice to see one's work in print, and it doesn't happen very often, so have to enjoy it while it's there.  My pic is printed alongside a nice sketch of a different Black Stork at Kyle of Lochalsh by youngster George Love-Jones.  Enjoy!
Here is the actual fieldsketch from the book if you want to see a bit more detail:
I also produced a more detailed composition to capture the occasion which BB didn't use:
It was also satisfying to have some recognition for identifying the Chipping Norton Oriental Turtle Dove from dodgy photos last December.  The rarest bird I've ever (not) found!  At least it got re-discovered and everyone got to see it - the race orientalis was a tick for most birders...

No comments:

Post a Comment