Wednesday 6 June 2012

First light at Lakenheath

TO BEST VIEW IMAGES, RIGHT-CLICK and CHOOSE 'OPEN LINK IN NEW TAB'.

STILL MORE TO COME.

The other morning I dropped in to Lakenheath RSPB having been up all night checking for Nightingales.  The light was amazing, it's good to be out early but I was so wishing I had my paints and my scope with me, alas I only had my bins - didn't want to have anything valuable with me in case the car got broken into while I was out surveying (not that it necessarily would).  The upshot was that I was travelling light and not burdened down by anything.  The lack of drawing materials meant I had to just use some scrap paper (comp slips with the old BTO logo on), and a biro.  The bit of colour was added when I got home.

I did actually see a male Golden Oriole that was singing most of the time.  It covered a huge area of woodland - 1km in extent.  I never realised one might have such a large territory. But it could be because it has no rivals for territory this year (seemingly), so it can make the most of the available space to advertise its presence.

No comments:

Post a Comment