Wednesday 12 August 2015

April sketches

The Egyptian Goose again, plus some Egyptian Goose chicks from the hide at Ixworth.

One of the highlights of this April was the amazing passage of Ring Ouzels. I managed to see eight at Roydon Common NWT reserve where I spent many hours watching them one day.  Up to 30 birds were seen here at this time, but I was more than happy with eight! The experience was very much marred by dog-walkers exercising dogs off the lead even though there are signs asking people to keep dogs on leads because of ground-nesting birds, and threats of £1,000 fines.  What is it with people?  Anyway, the sketches below are what I did in the time; not my best Ouzels, I have done better.  Drawing /painting is very much about 'being in the zone' and getting your eye in, and being somehow relaxed enough to absorb what you are seeing and convey it on the page.  To be honest there were hundreds of potential compositions and the light was stunning, I definitely failed to deliver when it came to a picture that captures the atmosphere of the occasion.









No comments:

Post a Comment