Thursday 12 May 2011

May 9th: AUDOUIN'S GULL!!!





Decided to take half a day off and try for the Audouin's Gull at Minsmere.  Stuck in slow-moving traffic on winding roads I'd given up hope of seeing it.  Indeed when I arrived it had flown off 20 minutes earlier...
Thankfully it reappeared over an hour later and showed for 20-25 minutes on the south scrape before flying off south over the Levels, and then toward the sea, not to be seen again.  I decided to stay on until dark in case it re-appeared, but alas no sign.  But there was still plenty to see - did these paint sketches of a Grey Plover and Black-headed Gulls in the evening light.  Common birds are just as exciting as rare ones (although I suppose I wouldn't be feeling that way if I'd missed the Audouin's!).

No comments:

Post a Comment